Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tasmanian Weight Lifting

I awoke this morning and it was raining out. Although the hostel that I'm staying in is quite lacking in creature comforts, I did notice a piece of paper stuck to one of the doors saying "Gym Equipment."  I got up early put on my shorts and a t-shirt and headed for a work out.  As soon as I opened the door I heard a familiar whirring sound.  There were two young ladies already working out.  One of them was on a life cycle type of machine and the other was stretching as she held on to the side of a treadmill.  I quickly surveyed the room and noted an old fashioned weight bench with weights already attached to the bar.  I flexed my muscles, placed my ear plugs in my ears and turned on some appropriate muscle pumping music.  I then straddled the weight bench, assumed the correct position and lifted the bar until my arms were fully extended.  It wasn't until I lowered the bar that I realized my fatefull mistake.  I couldn't get the damn thing off of my chest.  Note to myself. "Always look at the weights before lifting them."  I tried lifting the bar up and was able to raise my right arm slightly before having to lower the entire load to my chest once again.  I was able to kind of roll the weights down to my abdominal area, where I rested for a while as I thought about the next course of action.  I was finally able to lift the bar on one side and slide the other end on to the floor with a mighty clang that only helped to heighten the awarness of my lack of athletic abilities.  After lowering the other side to the ground I got up looked at the girls who were both smiling and quietly exited the room.  My workout was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment