Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hanging in Sydney

I arrived in Sydney a few days ago and am staying with an early childhood friend from England. Frances and I were quite inseparable when we were young. It was an interesting combination as she was always completely brilliant and I was an average lad with the attention span of a small puppy. I can still remember being around ten or eleven and walking along farm road talking about what we were going to do when we grew up. Frances said "I'm going to be a vet."
She is now Dr. Frances Hulst, a veterinarian at Taronga zoo. I believe when she asked me what I was going to do I probably just stared at her with a blank expression on my face.

As I write this I am sitting outside in a free wireless zone looking across at the iconic Sydney Opera House. To my left is the harbor and the harbor bridge. Tomorrow I catch an early morning flight to Tasmania and then return two days later.

Yesterday, Frances dropped me off at a park near her house and I walked along a river in sandals no less. I was informed that their are red bellied black snakes and deadly brown snakes in the area but that I shouldn't worry as I probably wouldn't see many. As I entered the bush the sign said "If you are lucky enough to see a Brown snake, be cautious as they can be quite aggressive." Ha Ha I laughed as I looked down at my feet and wondered why I had not worn my boots.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Greg,
    Helene, a friend, recommended your blog as we are planning a trip to walk and kayak in New Zealand next year. I've just read many of your posts - most inspiring! Certainly a trip of a lifetime. I'm going to link your blog to mine. Hope that suits you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny!

    That would be awesome...They are going to close the fund raising link in about two weeks, but any help I can get would be great. If you ever want to ask anything about any of the walks, getting to and from and which ones were the best just give me a shout out or friend me on facebook.

    ReplyDelete