Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sleepless in Te Anau

On the advice of a chap that I met on the Milford and Routeburn track I decided to change my accommodations at Te Anau to a cheaper hostel that was actually closer to town. As I paid cash for the other room, I gave a lame excuse and they were fine with giving me a refund. Thanks to this move, I am now sitting in the lounge area wide awake due to the smell of vomit that currently permeates my former room. I was unable to get in to the one he suggested and ended up in a shared room at a backpacker place near the lake. There were only three of us in the room and I was actually drifting off when the incident occurred. I believe alcohol may have had something to do with the inability to contain his stomachs former contents. Waiting to find out about another room.

Over the last few months sleep has been a rare luxury that usually occurs when I am in a tent or lucky enough to get a single room in some seedy motel. As most trampers will attest, if the huts are inhabited, their will be many different nocturnal sounds that will make sleep an impossibility. This particular situation however, is a first. "Ah to be young and stupid".

No comments:

Post a Comment