Thursday, February 17, 2011

Nervous Anticipation

I can look out the window of the hostel and look across lake Te Anau at the distant mountains and the Kepler track. At this moment the peaks are completely covered by grey clouds and I am fully aware that the weather up there is not like it is down here.

Tomorrow I head out for four days across the sixty kilometer track that will transverse these ridge lines in what are supposed to be some fairly bad weather systems moving in to the mountains. I was somewhat comforted in the fact that I had a possible partner to hike with, but she just canceled out due to the forecast. I would love to do the same but I can't. I have come to far and have committed to do this to raise money and complete my goal. Besides anyone who knows me understands that my OCD would never let me pass this one up.

I also realize that quitting can never be a viable option. My little girl gets up everyday and checks her blood sugar. She then measures the correct amount of insulin and injects her self to keep her self alive. She has done this since she was a little girl and never complains or cries about it. She bravely does what she has to do and lives her life fully and passionately. It is for her awesome spirit and the possibility of a cure that I will keep going to the end and hopefully get back to Te Anau on the 22nd before moving onto Stewart Island.

If you have not donated to our cause (The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation), please go to my blog and scroll down to the bottom left. There is a link to JDRF with a picture of Halley. If you click you will see a donate button. WE DESPERATELY NEED YOUR HELP...PLEASE HELP US FIND A CURE.

2 comments:

  1. Any wobbles where you are Greg?

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon,

    Apparently some people in town said they felt some. I was up on the Kepler track and didn't notice anything. Our bus driver stopped in a little town (Mossburn) on the way to Invercargill today. The ladies who made my coffee said they also felt it.

    I cannot believe that I sat there not several weeks ago, eating lunch looking at the beautiful cathedral. It is very sad, and I wonder how the young doctor I met on the Heaphy is doing. If he is OK, he must be very busy.

    ReplyDelete