Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Courage

Someone said to me the other day, that my scheduled trip sounds scary and a little daunting.  I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little nervous.  While training over these last few months, I have had many moments where I've said "oh crap, I'm fifty."  At times I don't want to strap on the pack and walk five miles to work at 7 am, knowing I'll be doing the same thing again at the end of the day.   Then I realize that nothing I'm doing is as daunting as what my daughter has had to deal with every day for the last nine years.  From the age of ten she was dealt a hand that she didn't ask for and yet she has never let if beat her or stop her from doing anything.    

Her courage and love of life is an inspiration for me.  Since her diagnosis of type 1 (juvenile diabetes) almost ten years ago, I have spent to much time asking her what her blood sugar is and what she ate today.  Instead I should have just told her that I love her and that I am amazed by how she lives her life with such courage, enthusiasm and affection for her friends and family.


No comments:

Post a Comment